Coronavirus (COVID-19) Train Travel Information
The safety of our customers during this difficult time is of the utmost importance to us, we have had a lot of E-Mails from customers with queries regarding refunds and also the safety of travelling on the train. As such we have gathered useful information into the below guide.
Is it safe to travel on the train?
Rail Companies are doing more to ensure that trains and stations are clean, including a strong focus on cleaning high-touch areas such as ticket machines, grab handles, stair handrails and door buttons. Rail Staff have also received advice on maintaining good hand hygiene, regularly cleaning surfaces and safe customer interaction.
1. Book with us before you leave to save time at the train station.
2. Choose to receive an E-Ticket for the collection of your ticket to avoid having to print your ticket at a machine.
3. Avoid travelling during peak hours, if possible - generally after 09:30 in cities and large towns or 09:00 everywhere else.
4. Wear a face covering at all times on your journey, unless you have a medical condition that allows you not to.
5. Make sure to sit in the seat you have booked to allow social distancing.
6. Some operators require a seat reservation to be made, if during booking you receive an error message regarding seat reservations this is because no seats are available. You will need to book to travel at a different time.
7. Avoid travelling if you feel unwell or have symptoms of Coronavirus.
We understand that the Covid-19 pandemic and changing restrictions may impact your plans. A new Book with Confidence policy has been introduced to provide you with unprecedented flexibility to adjust your bookings.
From Monday 21st June 2021, Advance ticket bookings can be exchanged for a different journey, until 31st March 2022, as long as the changes are made before 6pm the day before travel.
This applies to:
- Advance tickets purchased on or after 21st June 2021 for travel on or after 21st June 2021.
Changes must be made no later than 18:00 the day before travel.
Changes made prior to 18:00 on the day before travel
Rebook the same journey (origin, destination and number of passengers must remain the same) and we will refund the total ticket cost of the lesser value journey (without any admin fee). If an amendment results in a lower price ticket, the difference in fare will not be refunded.
If you are uncertain as to when you will be travelling or tickets for the new dates aren't available yet, request for a refund here to qualify for a 12 months Admin Fee-Free Change of Advance. You have 12 months from the outward travel date & time to rebook any journey and we will refund the total ticket cost of the lesser value journey (waiving the admin fee). If an amendment results in a lower price ticket, the difference in fare will not be refunded.
Please note that we are unable to offer travel vouchers or credit notes.
Changes requested after 18:00 on the day before travel
Changes to Advance tickets will be subject to normal Advance terms & conditions* regarding change of journey. Changes are permitted up to the departure of the first booked service, the £10 admin fee will apply, and any changes made to Advance tickets after the first booked service has departed are invalid and a refund is no longer available.
* Advance tickets Change of Journey: All re-bookings must be made before the original travel date/time and refund submitted within 28 days of the travel dates and booked for the exact same journey (the origin, destination and number of passengers must remain the same). If an amendment results in a lower price ticket, the difference in fare will not be refunded. The £10 cancellation fee is charged per booking reference. Booking fees, card charges and share of split ticket savings commission are non-refundable.
You can claim a refund on your original booking here
You can get a refund on your journey, an admin fee will apply. If you make a new booking you won't have to pay an admin fee and will be refunded the lower cost of the new and original booking.
To help with social distancing onboard, you now need a seat reservation to travel with some train operators.
While we always try to seat you next to the passengers on your booking, this may not happen automatically. Some operators don't allow this when booking, in case you don't live in the same household as the other passengers on the booking. Only the operator has the ability to amend your seat reservation, no retailers have this facility.